Sunday, September 7, 2008

Our Summer Year


In the absence of any completed song for today's entry I thought I'd take you guys "behind the scenes" into one of the more creative processes of getting inspiration for this project - I made a mixtape, or, actually, a mixCD of the high school experience that is still, as it will ever be, eluding me.
The whole idea for the thing started when I was listening to "Fast Times at Barrington High" by "The Academy Is...", and I couldn't help but think just how high school-esque the album sounded, and, coupled with my ongoing pursuit to make the ultimate mixtape, I decided to craft a high school experience I never had to give myself an insight into that sort of life, thinking it'd help churn out songs that perhaps a lot of people could relate to.
For me, this mixtape is my summer year, and it's my hope in the hopelessness for the coming few months, if only to the point where this CD keeps me healthy and happy. This is one hell of an achievement for me, and I've got music to thank, once again, because it seems to rescue me every time I go under.
Here's what I came up with:
SIDE A
1. I'm Ready (snippet) - Jack's Mannequin
2. Holiday from Real - Jack's Mannequin
3. Hurricane - Something Corporate
4. A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More "Touch Me" - Fall Out Boy
5. Change Your Mind - The Killers
6. Feeling This - Blink-182
7. The Mixed Tape (snippet) - Jack's Mannequin
8. When It Rains - Paramore
9. Breakout - Miley Cyrus
10. Dance Floor Anthem - Good Charlotte
11. Mr Brightside - The Killers
12. Nine In The Afternoon - Panic at the Disco
13. Hammers and Strings (A lullaby) (snippet) - Jack's Mannequin
SIDE B
1. Automatic Eyes (Remastered) - The Academy Is...
2. About A Girl - The Academy Is...
3. Grand Theft Autumn/Where Is Your Boy - Fall Out Boy
4. Punk Rock Princess - Something Corporate
5. Hum Hallelujah - Fall Out Boy
6. That's What You Get - Paramore
7. Hey Beautiful (snippet) - The Solids
8. Dark Blue - Jack's Mannequin
9. When You Were Young (Jacques Lucont's Thin White Duke Remix - Radio Edit) - The Killers
10. Here (In Your Arms) - Hellogoodbye
11. Take My Hand (Machine Shop Remix feat. Cassadee from Hey Monday) - The Cab
12. Paper Chase - The Academy Is...
13. Folkin' Around - Panic at the Disco
And there you have it. My Summer Year. There are also these little blips on the record, like static, cheering and applause. There's even a little thing that reminds you "Oh yeah, everything's fine." At the end, you'll be complying with the "Now press repeat", I think, because I love this mixtape, and I'm damn proud of myself.

1 comment:

Lenito said...

hmm, got me to thinking of which songs i would place on a mixed cd if i were to pick songs of high school experiences.

the list would be endless. in the words of all lyrics, one may find different interpretations of single lines, of words on their own infact.

i may somehow make every song mean what i want it to mean, thus making every song a high school experience! whoop!

lenito